Colonel Patric D. Coggin is the Commander, 189th Airlift Wing, Arkansas Air National Guard, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark. Commanding a wing comprised of over 1,000 Airmen, 4 groups and 11 squadrons, he leads the Air Force’s premier C-130H Formal Training Unit, graduating United States, allied and partner Airmen through the full spectrum aircrew qualifications. In addition to operating a Cyber Protection Team and cyber training unit, he is responsible for providing ready Airmen capable of meeting global requirements for combatant commanders as well as domestic emergency response to Arkansas and the homeland. Col. Coggin works in concert with the 19th Airlift Wing (AMC), 314th Airlift Wing (AETC) and 913th Airlift Group (AFRC) on Little Rock Air Force Base.
Col. Coggin attended the United States Air Force Academy, earning his commission in June 1999. He graduated from Undergraduate Pilot Training in 2000. Col. Coggin is a Command Pilot and previous instructor/evaluator pilot with more than 3,000 hours and 800 combat hours. Col. Coggin has served in various operational assignments in support of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL.
Prior to his current assignment, Col. Coggin served as the Director, Component Numbered Air Force Operations Center, Continental U.S. North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, 1st Air Force, Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida.
1999 Bachelor of Science Degree, Geography, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs Colo.
2000 Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2013 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- June 1999 – April 2001, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
- April 2001 – September 2001, Student, A-10 Initial Qualification Course, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- September 2001 – January 2004, A-10 Pilot, Assistant Scheduler, 74th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
- January 2004 – September 2004, A-10A Flight Lead, Assistant Weapons Officer, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
- September 2004 – May 2005, A-10A 4-ship Flight Lead, Chief battalion Air Liaison Officer, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
- May 2005 – February 2006, A-10A Instructor Pilot, Flight commander, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
- February 2006 – November 2006, A-10A Instructor Pilot, Chief of Training, 357th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- November 2006 – May 2008, A-10C Instructor Pilot, Director of Training, 355th Training Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- May 2008 – August 2008, A-10C Instructor Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, 355th Training Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- August 2008 – April 2014, A-10C Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 188th Fighter Wing, Ebbing Air National Guard Base, Fort Smith, Ark.
- April 2014 – October 2015, MQ-9 Pilot, Flight Commander, 188th Wing, Ebbing ANGB, Fort Smith, Ark.
- November 2015 – August 2019, Commander, 188th Operations Support Squadron, 188th Wing, Ebbing ANGB, Fort Smith, Ark.
- August 2019 – January 2022, Commander, 188th Operations Group, 188th Wing, Ebbing ANGB, Fort Smith, Ark.
- January 2022 – November 2022, Director, C-NAF Operations Center, 1st Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- November 2022 – Present, Commander 189th Airlift Wing, Arkansas Air National Guard, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,000, including more than 800 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, A-10, MQ-9, C-130H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with five oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1999
First Lieutenant June 2, 2001
Captain June 2, 2003
Major June 5, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2014
Colonel July 31, 2019
(Current as of February 2023)